Norths Chess Club has been operating since 1908, when it was established as Chatswood Chess Club. One of the earliest venues was the School of Arts on Victoria Avenue, Chatswood, now the site of The Concourse.
Members have included many of Australia's famous names, among them Lajos Steiner, John Purdy, Terry Shaw and Phillip Viner, and is now home to star players Max Ilingworth and Anton Smirnov. The first Club Champion was H. Edmunds; the first President C. N. Blackhouse. CLICK HERE to view the club Honour Roll.
The club committe is:
President: Paul Glissan
Vice President: Rex Simmonds
Treasurer: Norman Greenwood
Secretary: Peter Abbott
Webmaster: David Stern
General members: Nick Cooper, , David Webster, Michael Morris, Tristan Weijermars
Since the the late 1990s, the club has been hosted at Norths (formerly North Sydney Leagues Club).
Norths is a licensed club but juniors are welcomed.
- regular bus services from City, North Sydney, Crows Nest and Chatswood
- abundant undercover parking
- Routes 202 to 207 from Wynyard or North Sydney Station (alight at the Cammeray shops in Miller Street, which are 200 metres from NORTHS).
View Larger Map