About Norths Chess Club

Norths Chess Club has been operating since 1908, when it was established as Chatswood Chess Club. One of the earliest venues was the School of Arts on Victoria Avenue, Chatswood, now the site of The Concourse.

Members have included many of Australia's famous names, among them Lajos Steiner, John Purdy, Terrey Shaw and Phillip Viner, and has been home to star players Max Illingworth and Anton Smirnov. The first Club Champion was H. Edmunds; the first President C. N. Blackhouse.

The club committe is:

President:  Peter Abbott 
Vice President:  Rex Simmonds
Chief Arbiter: Rob Watson
Treasurer: Steve Garner 
Secretary: Pertti Sirkka
Webmaster: David Stern 
General members: Biljana Dekic, Norman Greenwood, Rex Simmonds, Tristan Weijermars 

Since the the 1990s, the club has been hosted at Norths (formerly North Sydney Leagues Club). 

Norths is a licensed club but juniors are welcomed.

Copyright © 2021 Norths Chess Club